Saturday, November 12, 2011

Between Two Worlds

After being away for a year, I finally made a trip back home to the United States. I spent a month back home, which definitely wasn't long enough! I had anticipated how things would be during my visit, and assumed that I would be able to pick up a few pieces and resume just the same as I had before I left. However, I would soon learn, that wasn't the case.

As I have said many times before, you become immersed in where you are living or settling. In a way, you are apart of that culture, and you very soon forget about simple things that you used to do. My management of time, reflects how time has passed here, in Abu Dhabi. My language, hand gestures, and body language all reflect the new culture in which I live in. The simple things about your daily life, become normal based on where you are and what you have called normal for the past twelve months.

I arrived in much of a daze...jet lag always gets the best of me. Tired, and ready for a break. I was excited to see my family, friends, and pets....as the excitement was definitely reimbursed. I was happy to know that after a year, my pets had not forgotten me after all. :)

The first week back home was rough. You don't quite feel like you fit in anymore, and you forget about the different surroundings. The time is off....you have to adjust to the difference. In a way, I had forgotten that men don't wear Kandoras, and women don't wear abayas. It was actually a little strange not seeing the sea of white and black among the people. And, that meant I had to put thought into what I was going to wear. When talking to people, or walking amongst the public, it was strange being able to understand full conversations. I actually had to concentrate on people talking, since I have been surrounded by a language that I don't understand and tend to ignore. Sights were different. I missed seeing the palm trees line the streets, as you are driving. I almost felt like I was back in the desert, as my time in Texas was during the worst possible drought. As my dad said, "I was witnessing the making of a desert." Oh, what I would have done to see rain....I haven't seen rain in over a year! And cravings...I wanted to jump in the car and run up to Lebanese Flower for a chicken schwarma and garlic labneh, but how soon I forget....that isnt just up the street, I am in the wrong place. All those foods that I thought I missed, they were taken over by the new foods and tastes I was becoming used to in Abu Dhabi. Simplicity....it was nice to be back home where things were simple. When I needed something, I knew what store to go to, where to find it, and I could communicate with someone about it. I missed the simple things...Hobby Lobby, HEB, etc.

When asked how I like Abu Dhabi, I can honestly say, I LOVE it. I don't love my job, but I do love my location, my friends, and the things I get to do. So, in simpler terms, I am STUCK between two worlds. I love what being overseas has to offer and the experiences you gain. At the same time, I miss the simple things I am used to back home, my family and friends, my pets, and my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment