Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Start of all the NEW adventures

After a lot of consideration and thinking, I wanted to change my career. So, I started taking classes to fulfill the rest of my nursing requirements the summer of 2009, which I have almost completed. Little did I know, I would be making an even bigger change!

Technology is an amazing thing! I have become addicted (along with so many others) to Itunes, Facebook, craigslist, email, Iphones, IPODS, flatscreen tvs, etc. Visits to craigslist has become a frequent hobby of mine; you can find some AWESOME things on there! As they say, "one man's trash is another man's treasure." (so true!) Amongst the furniture I was viewing, the biggest change of my life/career was to appear....that is right....the new part of my life was a click away!

I had clicked the job details, for 2010 teachers in the UAE. I read, read, and read......clicked the X to close....this would NEVER work, my family would think I was NUTS! Low and behold, my father would send me to the same craigslist ad the following morning.

Half heartedly, I think he was kidding, but has undoubtedly become proud of the decision I am making. After thinking about it endlessly, I decided to apply, what would that hurt? Knowing I wouldn't get the job, since I was ONE of 900 that they were going to hire world wide, I hit the send button....across the web my application went.

It was days later that I would be signed up for a telephone interview that following Saturday. After two telephone interviews, you would find out if you would make it, for the final personal interview. As you can guess by now, I made it all the way through. :)

My mother and I took a trip to Dallas, where I would interview with the Abu Dhabi Education Council. Now, you think interviewing with fellow Americans is nerve racking? Well, try interviewing with a group of individuals that have COMPLETELY different views, languages, views, etc. EVERYTHING that we do in America that isn't offensive, IS offensive to them. I spend days on end GOOGLE-ing "how to interview with Arabs/Muslims", "being female in a Muslim community", etc. I was confident that I wasn't going to offend these people!

If you are still reading, you can only guess, I got through the interview, obviously didn't offend anyone, and was OFFERED the job!!

March 10th- this was the start of a GRUELING process.

Filling out applications, security forms, waiting in line for FOUR hours for a passport renewal, etc.

But, long story short, here we are today.....With passport in hand, international driver's license, brand new luggage, and a POD sitting in my driveway.....I need my bags packed by the end of July and I am off!

So, stick with me and I will take you through the journey of a new place, new people, new culture, new experiences, and a new job. :)

3 comments:

  1. i think you will do great over there and i hope we can all see you again

    love
    aiyana jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this is the coolest thing ever!!!! I am so excited for you, so jealous, and so happy for you girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ms bumpas thanks for an awesome year have a good time in dubai

    from drew h

    ReplyDelete