Sunday, October 31, 2010

Birthday Bonaza




October 8, 1981

The day I was born, in Humble Texas. Twenty nine years later, and here I am....in a foreign country that I now call home, not sure where life is taking me, and so much to look forward to.

This birthday was different from all others...it was spent in a VERY different place, with friends (wonderful friends at that), but 7,000 miles away from family and close friends back home. It started out a bit strange, because it was so out of the ordinary. But, just like everything else, it turned out alright.

It started out just like any regular day. We had planned to go to a little Italian place for dinner. Barb and I had just found the place a week before, and ultimately became a favorite. You have to know, Italian food and Erin, we are good friends! Chantal was coming down from Al Ain to join us for dinner. It was to be small, quiet, just as any day. Another mistake I had made, this dinner night fell on the same night that there was a dragon boating competition, everyone had already made plans, and it was the end of a work week and people were tired. Again, no worries, it is just another day! I am come to the reality, as you grow older, birthdays aren't as much fun. Once you hit the main markers, 16....18....21, there isn't too much more to look forward to but getting older. :)

So, carrying on through a normal Friday afternoon, hanging out, running around town, shopping, etc....it was just like old times. We had decided to attend the Abu Dhabi car show. Barbara had heard about it, heard that the drifting team would be in town and out on a show, and it would be great fun.

We had returned to the hotel, everyone was to take a shower and get ready. So, within an hour, I was ready, but had not heard from the other two. Minutes later, with a ring of my doorbell, in walks Chantal and Barbara....rolling a tray in with a BASKIN ROBBINS ice cream cake, candles, balloons, and gifts. Pink bunny ears atop my head and my wishes were made. We gorged ourselves on decadent chocolate cake, giggled at the surprise of it all, and opened gifts. The girls went above and beyond!! I got:
1. a little shisha smoker....really cute
2. my favorite perfume, Samsara
3. a keychain, which marks so true..."Lost in Abu Dhabi"

So, the rest of the deal was, starting from this moment, the balloons were to go wherever I went. Yup, that is right....I walked around the car show, where the manly of the manliest men go....cars and motorcycles roared, and music blared...here I was with a trail of balloons attached to my purse. I must say, it was quite a scene, as there were many people who asked to take a picture, especially photographers from the local newspapers (I am yet to see the paper that published the pictures). There was no losing me...I could be spotted a mile away.

Next was dinner....off to Palazio Italian Rest. we went, balloons included. This has become one of my favorite rest. in the Abu Dhabi area! Not only do they have good food, Italian food at that, but the atmosphere of the rest. is absolutely divine. It is like you stepped off a plane and landed in Venice. The murals, the paintings, the decor, and even the chefs...it all reminds you of those quiet nights within the Venetian City...gondola rides, Italian music, and the smell of sweet Italian wines. Took me back to a place I didn't stay as long as I wanted, but enjoyed every moment of the experience.

We had stuffed ourselves to the brim....enjoying a divine feast of Italian favorites. We were so full, that by 10:00 PM, our beds were calling our names.

It was a great birthday..another year older, another year wiser, and another year spent with great friends, having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment